This article on basic search engine optimization (SEO) techniques will cover google page rank and your page content.
Note: SEO is not a quick task and takes a little work, but it will pay off in the end.
Google Page Rank
First thing lets create a bench mark. At the time of writing this article this site has a Google page rank of 0, which basically means its untrusted or unpopular. You can test your own sites by using the same tool I used.
Note: Please note that a page rank is not the only factor to determine where your site is placed, but this a basic part of SEO that anyone can do especially if its just submitting your website to directories. If your too lazy to do this, getting to none basic techniques would just be too much work for you. This is a good starting place for many small webmasters.
So in order for me to improve on this rank I have to get other sites to link to my pages. Sites that have a top level domain TLD of .edu and .gov are of higher trusted status. The reason being is because as an individual you can not just go and buy one, generally the information on those TLD are of higher importance. Getting back links on .edu and .gov is beyond the scope of this article so I will not be get into more detail.
A good way to get people to link to your website is to get them to recommend your content. Try to be part of a community which would be interested in your website that way they might link to your website. You also want to make sure you have dofollow links otherwise the link on that site will not count as a recommendation.
Places you can put your link for free link backs.
- Forum signature
- On help or question websites, when someone asks for a specific problem you can write an article answering their question.
- Paid advertising
The best link backs are ones where its 1 way, this means they link to your website and you do NOT link back to their website.
Google also considers the place of the link important, links which appear higher on the page will be more important then the ones which appear at the bottom of the page.
Now lets talk about the content on your pages.
- Search engines can not see what your image is! If you have images on your website you should always have alt and title tags this will give the search engine a little more information about your image/page.
- Keyword density. If your keyword is important you should try to include it as much as you can, as relevant as you can. For example this article talks about basic SEO techniques. Focus mainly on search phrases rather then keywords. Phrases are easier to win top spots.
- Use relevant headers tags, <h1>, <h2>, etc when you can.
- Do not use flash, seriously wtf.
- Make sure your content is unique, do not copy and paste, no one likes mirror or spam sites. Its pointless and search engines do not like them either.
- Update your urls to not use numbers to view different pages but rather update them so they have the relevant page keywords. For example change http://codesociety.net/?p=40 to http://codesociety.net/basic-seo-techniques-increase-traffic-website/
- Try to make content that people want to talk or reference.
Since this article is about basic SEO techniques to increase traffic, I will end with a list of free directories you can submit your website too, in order to get free link backs.
http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html http://www.joeant.com/suggest.html http://busybits.com http://linkcentre.com/addurl/ http://www.webdir.biz/submit.php http://www.green-list.net/submit.php http://www.netinsert.com/en/insert.html http://www.lsblogs.com/ http://www.netinsert.com/en/insert.html http://www.shoppingcorner.co.uk/submit.php http://www.theredtree.com/submit.php http://www.canadianlinks.net/submit.php http://www.shoppingdirectory.nu/submit.php http://www.australiandirectory.net/submit.php